[Dixielandjazz] The Chicken Dance - not really OKOM

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Sep 30 14:48:34 PDT 2007

Ya never know what yer gonna get asked for on a wedding or non-trad
audience dance gig, and you never know what's gonna "make" the gig.

My Sultans of Swing played a *swing* wedding, but after a couple of sets
this lady came over and told us the bride and many of the women were
dedicated *cloggers* and asked us to play something they could dance to.
We told her we had no idea what we might do, so a bit later she says how
about "Rocky Top"? Old whores that we are, we pulled our copies of my fake
book  "Gig Book", got a tempo from her, and played it for 15 minutes.
Turned out to be the hit of the night...

"Gig Book" has all the crapola jazzbos hate but the mASSES l-o-v-e (but
not more modern stuff like Macarena, Electric Slide, or YMCA).

--Sheik
http://americanmusiccaravan.com