[Dixielandjazz] The OKOM Chicken Dance.

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Sat Sep 29 21:22:25 PDT 2007

In a message dated 9/29/2007 11:09:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

We never  play the "Chicken Dance". Absolutely refuse if asked.

I was friends with the guy who made that famous. He was from  Milwaukee.

When his son was preparing for his wedding, he came to see me about
providing music. He asked, "Of course, you'll play the Chicken Dance (real name
Little Bird Song)?"

I told him, "I've never seen one song make cause so many people  to make such
fools of themselves in all my life. It's you fathers fault, and as  far as
I'm concerned, he can take it to his grave with him."

Needless to say, we didn't get the gig.

But, I can proudly say we've successfully avoided playing that for 25  years,
along with Proud Mary, Joy To The World, Spanish Eyes, Alley Cat, Kansas
City, Release Me, Misty, Girl From Ipanema, and a host of other overplayed,
makes musicians want to throw up songs, including the Macarena, the Hokey Pokey,
and the Bunny Hop. I put New York, New York on the shelf for 2 decades too.
The  musicians like playing my gig. :-)

When people ask me why we won't play those, I tell them "because the band
you heard last week played them, and if you'll have a little patience, the band
you'll hear next week will play them again for you."

Never once regretted it either.

Bill
414-777-0100
cell 414-305-6955