[Dixielandjazz] Memories - Sacramento Jazz Jubilee 1984

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Fri Sep 28 06:58:19 PDT 2007

Thanks for sharing that, Bob. In 1984 the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee was
still primarily about trad jazz or it's recognizable variants. The
article didn't mention it, but diversity was already making inroads.
That year I played the Jubilee with a western swing group put together
by fiddler/mandolinist Tiny Moore which he called "The Bob Wills Gang".
The players had played with Wills or his brother Billy Jack. Big fun,
and well-attended, especially by jazz musicians who liked to hear jazz
on strings. Trumpeter Dick McCombe and me on clarinet were the only horns.

Most of the Jubilee publicity these days calls attention to the
diversity; zydeco, blues, western swing, ragtime; something for
everybody. They still have trad jazz bands, but the outreach is to
non-trad fans, in an effort to maintain attendance and stay afloat. The
primary trad fan base is seniors and is diminishing. The Sacramento
Traditional Jazz Society, which stages the Jubilee, has a great youth
program including a jazz camp which brings dozens of talented youngsters
into the fold. There's no data on whether replacements are keeping up
with departures.

But I digress, as usual.

Thanks for the reminder that it was once all about 'dixieland' jazz.

Charlie Hull