[Dixielandjazz] New Trombones

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Thu Sep 27 19:06:40 PDT 2007

G'day all,

Gary Kiser wrote:

"Hi All,
As you may know, Sac ? Pulses will be Stateside once more this November.  Super trombone man Pierre Guicqu?ro would like to buy a new trombone and would like to profit from the weak dollar.

He plays a King 3B now.  He has tried a 2B and likes the lighter slide, but prefers the larger bore of the 3B.  He had the same sentiments of the comparable Yamaha.  Can anyone suggest a 'faster' 3B?

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
Clermont-Ferrand, France"

Hi Gary,

I obviously can't give you any guidance on the shops to visit, but I have a suggestion for the horn. If Pierre finds the King 3B slide too heavy, he can get a lightweight slide to replace the existing one. The best brand is an "LT Jiggs slide". Any knowledgeable horn salesman or repairer will know where to get hold of one of these as they are available ex wholesale stock.

My other advice is not to purchase one of these without thoroughly trying it out. It appears to me the quality control is not that good and he does not want to end up with a dud. The same condition should apply to purchasing any horn. "Try before you buy! If it ain't slick, don't take it!"

I am pretty sure Marty would agree.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin