[Dixielandjazz] Black Rage Jazz (was List of Tenor Sax Players)

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu Sep 27 19:55:13 PDT 2007

Mopo writes:
> One exception: Andy Razaf cleverly disguised Jim Crow reality in "Black
> and
> Blue," which because of an Armstrong recording came to be known as the
> first
> "protest" song (the song has a very interesting genesis, see "Black and
> Blue: The Life and Lyrics of Andy Razaf" by Barry Singer, Foreword by
> Bobby
> Short, ISBN 0-02-872395-3).

However "Black and blue" came to be "understood", check out the *verse*
lyrics, even better listen to Ethel Waters' record.

Black And Blue
Verse:
Out in the street,/    shufflin' feet,/
   couples passin' two by   two.///
While here am I,/   left high and dry,/
    black, and 'cause I'm black I'm   blue.///
Browns and yellers,   all have fellers,
   gentlemen prefer them    light,///
Wish I could fade,/    can't make the grade,/
   Nothing but dark days in   sight://|

Chous:
1. Cold, empty bed,/   springs hard as lead,/
    pains in my head,/   feel like old Ned./
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   ////
No joys for me,/   no company,/  even the mouse/   ran from my house,/
All my life through,/    I've been so black and   blue.///   /|||
-------------------------
I'm white/|   inside,/|   It don't help my   case///
'Cause I/|   can't hide,/|   what is on my   face,/ oh!/
-------------------------
I'm so forlorn,/   life's just a thorn,/
   my heart is torn,/   why was I born?/
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   /|||

2. 'Cause you're black,/   folks think you lack./
	they laugh at you,/   and scorn you too,/
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   ////
When you are near,/   they laugh and sneer,/
	set you aside/    and you're denied,/
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   /|||
How sad/|   I am,/|   each day I feel   worse,///
My mark/|    of Ham/|    seems to be a    curse!///
How will it end?/   Ain't got a friend,/
   my only sin/   is in my skin./
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   /|||

--Sheik