[Dixielandjazz] DJML Posts

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Thu Sep 27 14:02:23 PDT 2007

Steve said the following on list.
  (snip) (mildly edited for clarity. I.E typos)

Just a quick observation that there are occasionally posts that end up
off topic. Usually if they go too far, Bob Ringwald brings us back to
earth. It is a thankless task, for which I thank Bob publicly.

As for the rest, who would be list policemen, how about a simple "mind
your own business?" If you don't like a post, think the writer should be
excoriated, etc., write to Bob, or to the postee . . . offlist and have
it out. Otherwise, why not just hit your delete key and mute your self
important ego which enables you to speak for 600 listees who you do not
know.

Why not also get off Mike's case. He is a wonderful person and meant no
harm.  (As opposed to some on the DJML)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

I am not sure if I fit the above comments or not since my complaint was
about list mates who quote other list mates from private email and post
them either inadvertently or on purpose on the DJML. Sometimes it is
hard to tell which!  Many of these "strangers", as you put it, do not
always note that an email concerning a DJML subject was responded to by
private email, even if in order to post it to the DJML they have to
enter the DJML address! That SHOULD be a clue it was a private email.

The subject of more care HAS been brought up with Bob Ringwald, although
he can do nothing more then admonish us while at the same time
encouraging more private emails on touchy subjects. It is indeed a
thankless task for Bob.  Even more so if an unknowing list mate
admonishes him for butting in, not realizing he is now the person
keeping the list going, along with Dave.  It IS his business as you say.
Thank you for bringing that out, again, Steve.

MY point is that even if you DO respond Off line, there is NO guarantee
that your post will not make the list somehow, and you will find
yourself either embarrassed or vilified. Learn to live with it.

I would also like to thank Steve for a new word!  For me anyway.
"Excoriated".  I had to look that one up.  According to Webster it
means, "to strip, wear, or rub the skin off, to fray".  In other words
to be made a whipping boy.  Indeed that should not be the intent of
anyone on this list, even if someone does not always stick to the
original intent of this mailing list. Dixieland Jazz.

There. I got the word into the email, making it legal.

Mad Dog.