[Dixielandjazz] FW: Jazz dying

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Sep 26 16:05:51 PDT 2007

 Jim -- What about playing along with records, Larry?  Not all young kids
(when I
> was young) had gigs.  I paid my first dues in my bedroom with my LP's...

Good for you but that takes a lot of drive to do that.

There is nothing that will focus you faster than playing with and for other
musicians in front of a crowd for money that will stop if you can't do it.
With a record you have the leisure to go over and over something but live
and in front of maybe better musicians you have one crack at it.

I see nothing wrong with that kind of practice.  I would imagine that all of
us have done that at one time or another.  There are many practice aids
available now starting with computers that were not available then.

I didn't own a phonograph when I started playing gigs so it was all OJT.  I
don't advocate that at all and I wish I had a mentor or at least a
phonograph with records to model after.

The biggest problem with records is copying.  This is a yin and yang type of
problem.  How do you learn licks but if you do are you just cloning another
musician? and is that jazz?

When I hit college I did have a phonograph and the bands I played with
wanted the rock sax solos played exactly like the records and so I got out
the phono and drilled but then again that wasn't jazz or improv and didn't
help me one whit with jobs where I had to play jazz and improv and know lots
of tunes.

I still stand pretty much by what I said in that musicians that know lots of
tunes and can improv and arrange on the fly are just not being made today in
any meaningful numbers.  I think that's because the gigging industry is
drying up.  Young kids have the opportunity to play but not in a
particularly meaningful way.  An example of this is playing in a school big
band.  Maybe the lead players get to improvise on a 16 bar solo with printed
chord symbols.  They memorize something and think they are really swinging.
Maybe they are and maybe they aren't.

If you have to stand up there with nothing but a horn and three or four
other musicians and you have to do that for four hours.  Leaves you kind of
naked doesn't it.   Not only that but with many bands and bookers you get
one crack at it.  No pressure here but then do it all over again with
different musicians next week.

The hardest thing for me was knowing songs.  I was a teen in the 50's and
that's the music I liked and wanted to play but all the bands who paid money
weren't playing those tunes so I had to fall back on my memory of tunes that
I had heard when I was younger.  It was good training and I had some help
from the few bands that used fake books.
Larry
StL