[Dixielandjazz] FW: Jazz dying

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Sep 25 14:06:38 PDT 2007

Larry wrote:
<I think it's dying because it's a skill that you have to learn by doing and
without work and a place to learn it will be gone in 25 years as we die off.

What about playing along with records, Larry?  Not all young kids (when I
was young) had gigs.  I paid my first dues in my bedroom with my LP's...The
Dukes, The Firehouse Five, Turk Murphy.  Listening & playing along are the
first steps.  After that, gigging with others of like level of talent, until
you can stand up with the big boys.

Jim