[Dixielandjazz] List of Tenor Sax Players

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Wed Sep 26 06:42:25 PDT 2007

Mike wrote:

<<Marek,

It's music of a different kind. Music by musicians who dared to
think outside of the box and were even more brave to put their
thoughts into action. I agree that life is too short so why
spend it with blinders on?

The late 1950s and 1960s was a time of social change. It was a
time of challenging the norms and the creation of a new culture.
Albert Ayler, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman and Pharoah Sanders
all created music that mirrored what was going on at that time.

Mike>>

Mike:

What you say is true. But, Ayler and Sanders would not be remembered by
ANYONE today were it not for the fact that they sold some records at some
point, or, at least in the case of Ayler, got the attention of "jazz"
critics who enabled their reputations and drawing power. P.T. Barnum said,
"There's a sucker born every minute." It is true, however, that Trane and
Coleman changed the face of jazz forever, unfortunately. That's why those of
us who love the old-school Jurassic Jazz found it necessary to start a
discussion bulletin board called "Dixieland Jazz Mailing List."

The problem I have with your argument is not which tenor sax player was more
innovative, or who better reflected a new culture, or anything else about
them other than that their style falls outside the focus of this group,
which by the way is called "Dixieland Jazz Mailing List." Your post about
pseudo-avant tenor sax abusers is simply "off-topic" here.

I'm fairly certain that you will have no trouble finding another more
appropriate group out there somewhere to discuss plant-killing,
donkey-braying nonsensical tenor players of the Black Rage era, say,
"Dentist-Drill Tenor Sax." And by the way, if you post to THAT group about
Muggsy Spanier, Sidney Bechet, Louis Armstrong, etc., someone on that list
might answer politely (if you're lucky) urging you to find some other group
to post to about those topics. And then your next step would be to Google
"Dixieland Jazz" to find this list if you didn't already know about it.

Mike, I'm looking forward to reading more posts from you about "Dixieland
Jazz" on this, the "Dixieland Jazz Mailing List."

mopo