[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Erwin & Eddie Miller

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 08:00:09 PDT 2007

To the best of my memory, Erwin was a swing musician, who turned to
Dixie when "swing" dried out as a source of income.
I heard him in Nice, France, with Bernie Privin, and did they swing!
And yes, an excellent Dixieland player - sometimes.  Some of the "Big
Jeb Dooley" recordings are not so great, but I have several excellent
LPs by his various bands.  Also,  in the mid-1950's, he participated
in a recording project with other swing masters, later issued and
reissued on various bargain labels (such a Design, Bravo, etc), which
included Dixieland standards, played as swing more than Dixieland
(excellent recordings, whether the trumpeter/cornetist is Erwin or Rex
Stewart).
Cheers