[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Erwin & Eddie Miller

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 25 07:40:31 PDT 2007

Charlie Hull mentioned reedman Eddie Miller. You are not alone Charlie, many
of us remember him, I'm sure. He was inducted into the Big Band & Jazz Hall
of Fame in 1998. See the following site for complete list of inductees by
year.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Band_and_Jazz_Hall_of_Fame

Dave R (or someone else, I lost the post) mentioned Pee Wee Erwin playing in
1953 at Fort Dix NJ and how his Dixieland Band was appreciated by the
soldiers getting ready to muster out.

During the 1950s, in the NYC area, Dixieland was VERY popular. And the often
underrated Pee Wee Erwin played regularly at Nick's and other places in
Greenwich Village. As well as on the College Circuit and in some big bands.

Sometimes his music was disparaged as "Nicksieland", by folks who never
heard it. But his bands were always cheered lustily by the audiences and he
worked with the top NYC Dixieland musicians.

He was a very funny guy, with an enormous repertoire and a strong Dixieland
lead. And he encouraged the younger wannabes. One of the musical highlights
of my teens was sitting in with his band at Nick's.

Another interesting thing about Erwin was his open mind about musical talent
and styles. Though he remained firmly ensconced in Trad Jazz, he was one,
along with Chuck Traeger (bassist) who turned me on to Clifford Brown's
music." Just listen to the way he attacks the notes and makes the changes"
was about what he said in admiration.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone