[Dixielandjazz] Instruments and vibrato

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Mon Sep 24 20:55:38 PDT 2007

Dear David,

Any assessment of the effect of the Civil War on the flooding of the
civilian market is no doubt more speculation than fact.To quote from "Music
and Muskets. Bands and Bandsmen of the American Civil War"(Greenwood Press,
1981) by Kenneth E Olson, "The musicians took their music and instruments to
their homes where they relegated them lovingly to the attic." In chapter 8,
"Bands and Bandsmen on the Home Front", the author also points out in this
scholarly book that there was plenty of music beyond the battle areas.
Cheers.
Fred