[Dixielandjazz] List of Tenor Sax Players

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 16:22:50 PDT 2007

on 9/24/07 6:41 PM, Robert Newman at bobngaye at surewest.net wrote:

> Thanks, Steve -- I didn't know about Ornette Coleman on Tenor, but Harry
> Allen IS on the list.    But did Bud Shank record on tenor?    I have him on
> gobs of great alto and flute but not tenor.    I thought somebody would say,
> hey, Eddie Daniels on tenor?    You bet -- he recorded on tenor and bass
> clarinet.    And Frank Wess -- I have him on a very good tenor LP with no
> flute there.

Yes, Bud Shank recorded on tenor. I specifically remember a record with him
on Tenor, Alto and Flute with Bob Cooper on oboe, bass clarinet & Tenor. In
the mid 1950s and it included a neat Sweet Georgia Brown, as well as quite a
few American Songbook Tunes. Others on that were Shelly Manne and Bob
Brookmeyer. I think Maynard is also on some songs. Neat thing on some of
those songs was the flute/oboe lead duet by Shank & the late Bob Cooper.

Yes, Eddie Daniels plays the heck out of the tenor, as do folks like Paul
Hubbell and the late Bobby Levine. Both Alumni of the current Bob Cats led
now by Ed Metz who plays a great piano as well as doing great arranging.

Yes, Allen is on the Tenor Sax List, but not on the great living tenor list
of the poll by "All About Jazz". That is a big omission, IMO, and probably
because we OKOMers don't frequent the All About Jazz Web Site. That is a
pity because there is all kinds of information on it, OKOM included.

So much music out there eh?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone