[Dixielandjazz] List of Tenor Sax Players

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 13:21:15 PDT 2007

<paul.edgerton at gmail.com> wrote about the list of tenor sax players at:

http://www.tenorsaxophone.us/tenor_sax_players.html

> Obviously a work in progress: it doesn't mention me!

Yes, but you can remedy that by adding your name to the list. Surf the site
to find out how.

Who knows, that might generate a mention on the list of "greatest" living
jazz tenor sax players. According to the "fan" poll taken by "All About
Jazz" a few years ago when Michael Brecker was still alive. The results?

20% Sonny Rollins
 9% Michael Brecker
 9% Joshua Redman
 9% Wayne Shorter
 9% Joe Henderson
 6% James Carter
 5% David Murray
 4% Branford Marsalis
 3% Ken Vandermark

26% Other which included:
Joe Lovano, Chris Potter, Eric Alexander, Joe McPhee, Pharoah Sanders,
Johnny Griffin, Dewey Redman, Jerry Bergonzi, Bud Shank, Jan Garbarek,
Archie Shepp, Fred Anderson, Dave Liebman, Evan Parker, Sam Rivers
Charles Lloyd.

As we can see, OKOM needs some representation on that list. Harry Allen for
example.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone