[Dixielandjazz] Recording your group

Steve Schwartz surveyme1 at optonline.net
Mon Sep 24 09:47:56 PDT 2007

Hi Folks,

I just finished a project with a well known jazz bandleader who plays the bass family of instruments, with a small group using 2 horns and violin, alternately.

It was a digital recording but we went for an analog type of sound using various new and old mikes including some RCA relics from the 40s(?) or earlier.

Results were great overall but the response from brass is completely different than string bass or a woodwind instrument.

Choice and placement of mikes are critical and several takes are a must due to Murphy's Law.

If anyone is interested in recording their group (within 100 miles of NYC), I am available and can do 8 tracks or 2 tracks and mix down to cd with great sound.

I should have some samples up shortly but you can hear something on www.myspace.com/kingsofrhythm if you want to hear the results of a tune that I put together.

Listen to Sista Kate and you can get an idea of a mix of live and added on tracks.

Piano and vocal were recorded together live and I added guitar, bass and a drummer on separate occasions.

Get back to me if interested or if you have a burning question.

Steve Schwartz