[Dixielandjazz] Trad jazz for funerals

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 22 17:57:55 PDT 2007

Laurence Swain wrote [in part]:
> Over 50 years ago I bought an album of Louis Armstrong 45s, including
> some where he told
> us about NO funerals, and played many of the tunes on Bob's list,
> including "Free as a Bird" .
> Anyone got words and/or music for "Free as a Bird"? I just looked
> through some of my stuff,
> and could not find either.  Will I have to try to find the old 45s?

Dear Larry,
That was "New Orleans Function' with Louis All Stars. Louis; Barney
Bigard; Jack Teagarden; Earl Hines; Arvell Shaw and Cozy Cole.
Recorded in New York for Decca on April 26, 1950.
It was initially a two-sided 78 record comprising " Flee as a Bird" and
"Didn't He Ramble", which Louis had first performed with Ed Hall's band
at Carnegie Hall in Feb 1947, then at the occasional concert. I have
details of these.
The two sides have been reissued many times on LP and CD, so you may be
lucky pick it up and and not have to look for the old 45s.
There is no vocal for either tune on the Louis record.
Worlds Records currently have Louis "New Orleans Function" in stock on
CD:
'Pete Fountain Presents the Best of Dixieland' (Pete Foutains presents
his favourite Louis Armstrong tracks).
Universal 549363 for $12.00.
They also have it on Louis' compilations as follows:
Definitive 11188. A 2-CD set.
Properbox 24. A 4-CD set.
Universal 43822. A 3-CD set.
Fremaux 242. A 2-CD set.

Herewith the lyrics:
FLEE AS A BIRD
[Chorus 1]
"Flee as a bird to your mountain,
Thou who are weary of sin;
Go to the clear flowing fountain,
Where you may wash and be clean;
Fly, for th' avenger is near thee;
Call and the Saviour will hear thee,
He on His Bosom will bear thee, Thou who art weary of sin,
Oh thou who art weary of sin."

I have the second chorus if needed.
Kind regards,
Bill.