[Dixielandjazz] Jazz dying - not it isn't!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 15:08:56 PDT 2007

I don't think so, Judie.
On Thursday the 13th, I attended a very nice Gypsy Swing show at a
Jaffa restaurant.  True, people ate and drank (in addition to
something like $3.5 cover, there was minimum consumption, but most
peole were young and they stayed throughout the show.
Not long before, I went to hear the Isradixie Band in Tel Aviv.  There
the public was older, but at least one third was less than my age,
some a lot less (they brought little children).
In the email you've answered, I mentioned some young bands, and young
bands attract young audience.  True, it was 2001, so peoples' tastes
might have changed, and thy are a few years older, but I felt like a
dinosaur in the home pub of The Hot Revival Band.  Standing room only
- I could not face the stage, because there was not enough room to
turn!
And, you know, no audience - no music.  Swing musicians could easily
torn to New Orleans or Dixieland, but the current players would not
recognize Charlie Parker if he showed up in person!  Thus, the chances
of revival without audience seem rather slight!
In the meantime, let's enjoy what we can.
Cheers