[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 47

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 21 13:57:17 PDT 2007

Don Mopsck wrote: (polite snip)

> Now, about Mr. Barbone:
>
> After years of reading his posts, I've come to expect Mr. Barbone to merely
> repeat what he's heard or read about jazz. This is called "received wisdom."
> Charlie Parker is God. I don't have to listen to old Bix and Louis records
> because I've heard it all before, there's nothing in them that can teach me.
> Traditional jazz is dying out because old farts are hopelessly backward
> jerks who wouldn't know quality jazz if it bit them in the ass. Traditional
> jazz festivals suck and will die soon. On and on, ad nauseum. Everyone on
> this list that I've talked to online and in person is beyond tired of this
> abuse. We wonder: if he dislikes traditional jazz and its fans so much, why
> doesn't he start his own list and call it, say, "Lame, Jive Dixie Boppers"
> and leave us in peace?
>
> It's up to each of us to listen carefully to the actual music, not once but
> many times, in order to reach OUR OWN conclusions about what is truly
> swinging, rightcheous, good, true and everlasting among the vast river of
> jazz schlock that constantly threatens to sweep us into oblivion. A friend
> of mine, a longtime purveyor of good jazz, has a signature aphorism which
> over the years he has emblazoned on bandstand signs, stationery, etc.:
>
> "Listen Closely To The Real Stuff."

Thank you Don, for your verbal diarrhea. Nothing like letting one's personal
dislike of another result in a petty attack of the other guy via a complete
mischaracterization. There is little truth in what you say about me above.
The only truths there, which I have said many times, is; "It is up to each
of us to listen carefully to the actual music". And, the fact that OKOM jazz
festivals are in trouble. You know that as well as I do. The rest is all BS
brought about by who knows what.

Are you angry because I do not contribute money to Cullum's coffers? Then
stop asking me and leave me in peace.

Who is this "we" who you say wonder if I like trad jazz? Perhaps you need a
reality check. You might also re-read what have said many times about the
band in which you play. That should leave no doubt in your mind.

Oh yes, BTW, the NY Times Reviewer wrote that "Sonny Rollins was arguably
the worlds greatest living jazz tenor saxophonist." I simply passed his
message on. If you have a beef with that very clear statement, with all of
your personal expertise about Rollins, take it up with him.

Please accept m best wishes for a speedy recovery from what ever it is that
ails you.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone