[Dixielandjazz] FW: Defect vs. Incorrect + Liza Minelli

Ron L lherault at bu.edu
Thu Sep 20 06:32:45 PDT 2007

I like what Jim K said about taking on a hint of your hero.  I particularly
like Kid Ory and am really tickled when someone tells me that they hear a
bit of Ory in what I do.  I've also been told that I reminded the listener
of Joe Avery, which I thought was pretty neat.

Another trombone favorite of mine is J. C. Higginbotham before, when and
slightly after he was with the Luis Russell orchestra.  He had this
wonderful, singing, soaring tone and joyful way of playing.  Wow.

I'm  going to weigh in on the matter of vibrato too.  I like it most of the
time.  I always thought it was a major component of early New Orleans Jazz.
I am not fond of singers who have/use it in a very pronounced way usually
but I love Piaf.

Ron L