[Dixielandjazz] FW: Defect vs. Incorrect + Liza Minelli

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Sep 20 01:27:04 PDT 2007

My original post on "defects" is now being scrutinized quite thoroughly, and
different words are being thrown out to describe the situation.  And, others
are just saying that's what gives all the variety.

That's all fine.  I was just trying to state there are "proper things" we
all learned when we began our classes on our particular instrument.
Deviations from that are "deviations caused by accident" or caused by
"accidents" (such is apparently the situation for Wild Bill).

To add a detour in this thread:  how about all these followers of Turk,
Bechet, Wild Bill, etc., that purposely take on the sound of their heroes?
It's already been done, so why try to do it again?  I prefer taking the
slight hint of a hero & developing it along with your own style.

And, to Steve....I wouldn't know Clint as my big touring days were in the
1970's.  I now tour with a lovely redhead who is not much of a singer, but I
enjoy her company much more (my wife, Orla!).  :>

Jim