[Dixielandjazz] Defect vs. Incorrect + Liza Minelli

OArkas at aol.com OArkas at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 22:07:21 PDT 2007

Hi Steve and list mates:
I don't want to be controversial, but I am a folklorist, and I feel I have to
comment on the comments concerning "right" and "wrong" ways to play and words
like "defect" or "incorrect."
My comment is simply this: all communities (groups meaning folk groups etc.)
have their own preferences or norms for what is pleasing and acceptable, and
what is not.   The concept is this: "there are many ways to skin a cat."   I
mentioned earlier that I'm a Greek clarinetist.   You might hate our vibrato and
style, but for us it is correct, and the way a classical clarinetist plays is
a defect!!
Big grin here, but that's the concept.   In jazz, there are different norms
for tone.   In an eastern culture, as in southeast asia, the voice quality,
tones, etc. that they like seem terrible to the western ear (and perhaps vice
versa).
In our music we use the natural scale sometimes (although with the
introduction of radios and television, perhaps peoples ears are changing to match the
tempered scale of western Europe.   We have some use of quarter tones in our
music, but nowhere near the way it's used in Turkish and Arabic music.   Who is
right?   Who is wrong?   What is incorrect, and what is a defect?   My answer
is that it varies according to the traditions of the group.
This is offered in the spirit of friendship and humility.   :-)
I like vibrato on the clarinet; I don't like clarinet without the vibrato.
Best regards,
John Pappas
Greek clarinetist who loves OKOM too.
C Albert system Buffet clarinet!!!