[Dixielandjazz] Bechet's vibrato

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Sep 19 20:04:22 PDT 2007

There is a "Post-Modern Jazz" reed player who has revived the
Taragoto as an instrument of destruction and terror:
Peter Brötzmann. He has recorded many lengthy solos on that
instrument - I can sort of  hear the difference between it and a
clarinet, but the way he plays, it is not that important ;-)

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=385 here is a snip:

> In typical marathon style, Brotzmann opened on tenor and moved to
> the sinewy high-pitched taragato with a lengthy dissertation of
> flooding proportions. He showed enormous stamina in spewing out
> wave after wave of impulses. The music appeared as a huge boulder
> rolling downhill at unstoppable speed as Drake set into motion his
> power drumming and Parker relentlessly stroked his bass. For over
> 35 minutes, the three were an incendiary fuse of explosive creativity.

Dave Richoux (who only likes the soprano sax on rare occasions, but
has a higher regard for a good fiddle player or two.)