[Dixielandjazz] Bechet's vibrato

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 19 16:45:42 PDT 2007

> I don't know if it's true but I heard several American jazz people say
> that Bechet's vibrato reminded them to the sound of the "tarogato"
> which
> is a clarinet-like instrument that was, I think, only used in Hungarian
> folk music, then in Hungarian Gypsy music.

Dear Tamas.
Peter Strohkorb, a German [from Berlin] clarinet/sop sax-playing friend
and  ex-band colleague, who migrated to Sydney, Australia in the early
1980s has/had a taragato.
He bought it new (as I recall) in Germany many years ago on one of his
return visits.
My dear friend Peter, like most early post-war European jazz reed
players, was very much influenced by Sidney Bechet who he had met and
played with on several occasions.
His taragato was a fine instrument and I certainly preferred it to the
sound of his more forceful sop sax (Bechet-style) playing.
Peter now lives and plays in Noosa, Queensland (km/miles north of
Sydney) so I do not see him often enough.
Whether Bechet owned one, I do not know, but Peter probably does.
I will telephone him.
Kind regards,
Bill (who doesn't care much for soprano sax or violins).