[Dixielandjazz] (no subject)

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Sep 19 15:11:58 PDT 2007

There are several bands that use civil war era instruments and play music of
the time.  The recordings that I have heard are quite mellow sounding
compared to today's bands or brass groups.

Several years ago I purchased a civil war era flute at an auction for $25.
I sold it for $250 through an antique store even though it had a rather
large but repairable crack down the length of the instrument.  As I recall
it had 11 keys.  I probably could have gotten much more for it if I had put
it on line.

While reading the article on sax horns I came to the drum section.   It
reminded me that back in 57 when I first joined the AF we played a parade
and had some of those old field drums with skin heads and rope tension tabs.
And of course it rained.  They made a truly unique sound.  The other event
that happened at that parade is that we had to pack up immediately after and
get on a plane.  The instruments followed by truck.  When we opened the
cases two weeks later almost all were green with mildew and almost every rod
had rusted.  What a stinking mess.

I think they threw away those old field drums but I'm sure they were from
the WW1 era and I'll bet they would now be valuable too.  They were blue
with an American Eagle in gold on the side.  Also they were somewhat deeper
than modern field drums.

In any case not even on a great day did they have a snappy sound.
Larry
St. Louis