[Dixielandjazz] Alan Greenspan--reedman

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Sep 18 14:16:09 PDT 2007

To: DJML

From:  Norman

Re:  Alan Greenspan

Steve Barbone wrote:

>>Damn, a jazz clarinet player, a sideman no less, controlled US fiscal
policy for decades. >>And we thought all jazz clarinet players were
dummies.<grin>

Of course, I haven't read Alan Greenspan's book, yet.  May not get to it.
However, a few years ago I read the autobiography of Leonard Garment,
another Jewish boy from Brooklyn.

( Refreshing memory for some of you, Garment was in the New York law firm
which Nixon joined

when he was rehabilitating his reputation.  Garment was practicing law there
and-to make this as brief as possible-he and Nixon became friends.  During
Nixon's campaign for the Republican nomination for president, Garment joined
the campaign.  Afterward, he became Nixon's private counsel and moved to
Washington.  Garment said that during the Watergate hearings, he was not
indicted because the Nixon team didn't let in on the secret break-in.)

Now to the point of this communication-- in the Garment autobiography, there
is a photo of him and Greenspan  side-by-side performing in the sax section.

After retirement from active law practice, I understand that Garment was
active in promoting the jazz museum in Harlem.  Not sure, but he may have
been chair of that committee.

Norman Vickers