[Dixielandjazz] Vibrato ala Bechet

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 14:40:01 PDT 2007

"Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis"

> I have some of those recordings so I need to pull them out and re listen -
> Personally I like what he did but I find his vibrato irritating and try to
> listen past it for the meat of the  music.
>
> I am simply not a fan of the vibrato used by early jazz players in the same
> way I don't like the Minney Mouse vibrato that Dolly Parton uses and is used
> by women in Appalachian folk music.  Vibrato has gone through several style
> changes over the years and will most likely continue to change over time.

Vibrato certainly has gone through changes over the years and will continue
to do so. I guess it is a matter of personal preference. For example, I love
Bechet's vibrato, but don't use much myself.

Perhaps Bechet and others favored vibrato because that's what they heard the
Operatic singers they adored use. Enrico Caruso, who was a favorite of many
jazz players, used vibrato. Perhaps another contribution that Classical, or
Operatic music made to the development of jazz? From Caruso to Pavarotti,
vibrato has changed. Both used it, but Pavarotti's was different, less high
speed.

Other reason Bechet may have preferred vibrato, especially on Sop Sax, is
that the early sop saxes were quite out of tune. Some had the lower register
in tune and the upper register sharp, while others had the lower register
flat with the upper register in tune. You could buy either version, but not
one with both registers in tune.

How to mask that deficiency? Vibrato. By varying the pitch with vibrato a
quarter tone on both the high and low side, some of the note in either
register would be "in tune" and perceived as in tune by most of the
audience. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS to Mike: A sarrousaphone is a sort of, but not really, bass sax. Google
it and you'll find more than you want to know about it. Bechet takes a solo
on one during "Mandy Make Up Your Mind".