[Dixielandjazz] Bechet on clarinet

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Sep 18 16:55:58 PDT 2007

Marek Boym -----To my ears,
> that's what sets the jazz clarinet apart from the classical one.
_________________________________
I agree with that.  As I said there are several styles of vibrato starting
with a very fast wide vibrato as used by early jazz players.  Typically it
went all the time kind of like a vibrato control on an electric guitar amp
or a Hammond organ through a Leslie.  Many flute players turn it on at the
beginning and don't stop.  I don't really care for that much.

The next major type of vibrato is the Glen Miller (Chin) vibrato which is
medium wide and in time with the beat.

In the modern vibrato the tone starts and the vibrato starts at zero and
gets wider and may fade in and out.  The width and speed vary depending on
the artist, the type of music and weather it's instrumental or vocal .

There are variations and that is the Appellation folk vibrato that sort of
twitters and is primarily a throat vibrato and considered very bad on
instruments because it constricts the throat but some people use it. The
only male I can think of that used it was Burl Ives.  It's primarily used by
women vocalists.

It sounds like to me anyway that Bechet may have used a combination of the
throat and chin vibrato.  The throat vibrato can produce a very rapid
vibrato whereas the Miller chin vibrato (saxes) typically can't.  Since
Bechet's vibrato is very wide and fast I suspect a throat vibrato.  Almost
always people who use a throat vibrato don't sound very good due to the
constriction in the throat but Bechet seems to have been an exception.

The various styles of vibrato have their proponents. The diaphragm vibrato
used on flute can produce a very nice vibrato on sax especially in slow
ballad or jazz styles but is almost always useless for Miller style or OKOM.
This kind of vibrato is an intensity vibrato like rapidly spinning a volume
control up and down.  The throat vibrato is also an intensity vibrato (more
than intonation) because the air is turned on and off rapidly.  I think it's
more percussive than other vibratos.

The Chin vibrato is primarily an intonation vibrato where the tone goes in
and out of tune rapidly more like an air raid siren.  This kind of vibrato
is good for letting blood into the muscles and improving endurance as well
as intonation but if used in a section must be together or you have a mess.
It's also a lot more controllable by the artist.  The diaphragm is a large
muscle that is more suited to larger, slower movements whereas the chin can
be rapidly moved and varied.  A throat vibrato on horns tends to give you a
sore throat after awhile.  It also is very regular and usually doesn't vary
at all.

The only way you could really tell 100% what kind of vibrato Bechet had and
what he was doing would be to digitally slow down a piece and analyze the
intonation and volume of several notes watching what was going on.

When I was a young player I used a throat vibrato and just knew I didn't
like it.  Eventually with the help of a friend who played well and slowing
down recordings so I could hear what was going on and how exactly the
artists used it did I finally get what I wanted.  Not only did my vibrato
improve but my overall sound took a giant leap too because my throat was
relaxed and open.

Since I have started playing OKOM I find that my vibrato is changing to a
faster, wider style than that I used 10 years ago.

Another thing that I think that vibrato seems to make the sound carry
further.  I could be wrong about that but it seems to help with projection.

Classically trained clarinet players lock on like a snapping turtle and use
no vibrato which is a pity because the instrument becomes a whole lot warmer
and interesting with vibrato especially in the low register.
Larry
StL