[Dixielandjazz] Hearing Yourself was Guitar Playing loudly

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 16:47:03 PDT 2007

Bill Allen at ballen at deltapathology.com wrote:

> The LOUDEST MONITORS I've ever worked with were with a band that did a lot
> of vocal harmony, you MUST hear the other parts to fit in.
>
> In fact, a lot of sound guys will tell you that some country bands with a
> lot of vocal harmonies will be much more demanding of monitor volume than
> even hard rock bands.

I believe it. We followed a country band earlier this year at a street
festival in West Chester. PA. We arrived before they finished and sat
slightly behind them off to the side. There were 4 guys vocalizing as well
as playing amplified guitar, slide guitar, electric bass and drums. All in
the monitors.

Sound was so loud through the monitors, we left our instruments and moved
about 20 feet out front and along the side. Sound was softer even though we
were close to the main speakers on that side.

When we went on, the only instrument we put in the monitor was the trombone
because he was a sub and wanted to hear himself better as he blended in with
our style.

Cheers,
Steve  Barbone