[Dixielandjazz] Bechet on clarinet

OArkas at aol.com OArkas at aol.com
Tue Sep 18 15:30:34 PDT 2007

In a message dated 9/18/07 2:58:57 PM, marekboym at gmail.com writes:

> Gee, I love the vibrato!  That big, living, vibrating tone, which
> makes the clarinet sound almost like a string instrument.  To my ears,
> that's what sets the jazz clarinet apart from the classical one.

I agree with that.   I like Bob Helm's style as he played.   The non vibrato
style of playing is the reason I do not like many of today's traditional jazz
clarinetists.   (of course maybe I'm prejudiced because in the style of music
I play, Greek folk music, we use Albert/simple system clarinets and vibrato).
John

John
oarkas at aol.com