[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 38

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:44:02 PDT 2007

Message: 7
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:47:06 -0500
From: "philwilking"
If you want a band to play marches for the troops, and you have a lot of
horses and mules in the parade (officers, wagons, and artillery), then you
need to put the band in front to let them concentrate on the music instead
of the footing. But if the instruments project forward, the men will not
hear them, therefore the "over-the-shoulder" horns. I know this is
plausible, but is it the truth?

It is the absolute truth.  I don't know where the tradition of musicians in
the front began, but the British carried it to the extreme with the fifes and
drums.  The other, more important reason (honestly, more important than watching
for land mines from the horses) was to warn the soldiers when the enemy was in
shooting range.  If a musician got shot, they need to watch out.  That is no joke,
ask any Civil War re-enacter.