[Dixielandjazz] Satchmo Museum

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 16 15:58:32 PDT 2007

Dear friends,
This just in from Satchmo.net
I hope that someone, closer to the action, can obtain a report from
this interesting event.
Kind regards,
Bill.

Dear Armstrong fan,
  This is just a quick e-Pops reminder of the FREE event we're holding
on Tuesday, September 18.
  Louis Armstrong & Little Rock: What Really Happened
  A Reporter's Story, 50 Years Later

Join the Louis Armstrong House Museum and Langston Hughes Community
Library as we commemorate the 50th anniversary of school desegregation
in Little Rock with an interview with former newspaper reporter Larry
Lubenow. In September 1957 Lubenow broke the story that Armstrong was
canceling his State Department-sponsored Russian tour to protest the
injustices occurring in Arkansas. Vanity Fair Contributing Editor David
Margolick will interview Lubenow in a program that promises to reveal
stunning new information about the reporter's historic evening with
Armstrong. Come hear the real story behind the AP article Lubenow wrote
50 years ago.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2007 AT 7:00 PM
Reception to follow

Langston Hughes Community Library Auditorium
100-01 Northern Boulevard, Corona, Queens

BEFORE THE EVENT: From 5:00-6:30 pm, visit the Louis Armstrong House
Museum for a special viewing of the current exhibit Breaking Barriers:
Louis Armstrong and Civil Rights, which includes Lubenow's AP article.
A free shuttle bus will transport visitors from the Armstrong House to
the Langston Hughes Library every 15 minutes until 6:45 pm.