[Dixielandjazz] Last sets of the evening.

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sun Sep 16 14:30:51 PDT 2007

In his response to Stan Brager's comments about the Ellington set being
the last set of the evening at Newport, and the fact that at OKOM
festivals the last set sometimes goes overtime with no problem, Steve
said in part.

Stan:

Yes, I said in my post it was the last set that evening.

The bands got standing O's, but still ended on time, give or take 5 minutes.

The crowd at Newport in 1956 would not let Ellington leave the stage and
so he played 3 or 4 encores. From an audience reaction viewpoint, it was
very different than most jazz festivals which is the point I was making.

I have heard tell that many last sets at OKOM Festivals end on time
because the old folks don't stay up late. <grin>

(snips)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

I think the set being the last set of the evening was a big factor if
you are going to keep a festival on schedule. Many of the ones I have
been to, the volunteers or even the pros on the sound boards are ready
to tear down and leave at a certain time.  Even on the last set for a
band to run over can be an imposition to everyone but the band itself
and THEIR fans.  So you are in ecstasy. I my not be.

They will usually be on another set the next day again. Come back and
hear the last half hour of the extended piece then, or next year.

Of course I am not serious. They should not start something they are
incapable of finishing in their allotted time.  Isn't an hour enough?
Ask for longer sets next year. Back to 1 1/4 or 1  1/2 hour sets.

When there is  a short set-up time between bands, and with the sound
team possibly not knowing the set-up of the next band, even 5 minutes
over into the set-up time can make the difference between an on time
start for the next musicians or a late one where they are shortchanged.
As a musician, just think about that.

When they reach that 5 minute overtime and show NO signs whatsoever of
winding down or finishing, that is when the Room Managers and sound
people stop listening to how great they are, and how enthused their
audience is, and start thinking about their own jobs, and ratings. And
Room Managers are rated at many festivals, if not all. Sound personal
are just basically maligned by all.  Pass or fail.

I have heard this "Don't mess with the artists" routine before myself.
Fortunately like with Ellington it is said with a smile, usually, even
if the artist is serious. Still better for all concerned to finish on
time. Whether we are talking the big time events and venues some of you
play, or the many festivals mostly in the western US.

I know the rest of us are not "up there" with the musicians, but we are
the ones supporting the music.

You are correct on the last statement also. In the old days if the 10 PM
set did not go on until Midnight, or later, there was still a good
crowd. Now after 10 PM you might as well lock the doors after the group
starts playing, move the audience, what there is of it left, to one side
of the room and let the venue clean-up crews clean and vacuum the other
half, so they can go home early too.

Mad Dog.