[Dixielandjazz] OT? Wonder where some of those "Yout" audiences are?

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Sep 13 12:39:33 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Last night I went to a show in Oakland, CA that featured several "Alt
Marching Bands" that are touring the country in preparation for a
StreetBand festival in Boston in early October. March Fourth Marching
Band of Portland, Oregon was the headliner and there several other
San Francisco Bay Area bands and percussion ensembles there. It was
very loud, a bit raunchy, and a lot of fun! It is not exactly jazz or
New Orleans Brass Band but there are elements of both in it.
Brazilian kinds of rhythms are in a lot of the performances. The
audience was about 250+ young to medium age and seemed to cover a
broad spectrum of dress, hairstyles and attitudes (if you get my drift.)

Anyway, there is a lot of energy and excitement developing for this
sort of music around North America (and many parts of Europe) and
there will be a festival in the Boston area Oct 5-7 with quite a few
bands. I was planning to go but the Hangtown festival is the same
weekend...

anyway - check out:
http://marchfourthmarchingband.com  and
http://honkfest.org/ for more info