[Dixielandjazz] West End Blues

Tony Davis tony at tony-davis.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 06:51:28 PDT 2007

Robert S. Ringwald wrote:

> Don,
>
> Listen to it again.  Metcalf did a terrible job on it.  He had a clam on
> one note and then sloughed through the rest of the notes -- very sloppy.
>
> --Bob Ringwald

Perhaps "terrible" is a bit harsh, but it's true that Metcalf's
interpretation is sloppy.  Even the very first note is off: what should
be a G is more like an A, and the same thing happens in the last triplet
before the high C.  And whereas Armstrong soars up to that high C
apparently effortlessly and seamlessly, Metcalf clambers up and pauses
for breath before he finally hits it.  Then he blusters his way through
the rest of it, mangling the last phrase by missing out two notes.  But
it was a brave attempt and just underlines how superb Armstrong's
performance was.

I'd like to know - and maybe Bill Haesler can enlighten us - who the
piano player was.  He does a pretty good job of re-creating the original
Earl Hines solo.

Tony Davis
Aston, Oxfordshire, UK