[Dixielandjazz] Satchmo and H.L. Clarke

tduncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Wed Sep 12 18:39:10 PDT 2007

Craig Johnson has created a handy index for songs available from
redhotjazz.com. Try http://www.mainely-jazz.com/rhsongs/songframes.html and
look under "W" for West End Blues. According to the recordings available
there, Armstrong recorded and played the cadenza with the Hot Five on
7-28-28. Oliver recorded West End Blues without the cadenza with the Dixie
Syncopaters on 7-11-28 and with cadenza with his later Orchestra (not the
Creole Jazz Band) on 1-16-29.

If those dates tell the tale, then Louis would appear to be the creator, or
at least the first recorder, of the cadenza. Bill Haesler or others with
greater discographical knowledge than I may have already weighed in on this
interesting thread . . . If not, Bill or others, do these dates hold up and
do they confirm that Louis created that great cadenza?

Regards,

Tom Duncan
Doctor Dubious and the Agnostics
PO Box 2118      Teaneck, NJ 07666
P   (201)836-6076     FAX   (201)833-4143
www.doctordubious.com