[Dixielandjazz] Satchmo and H.L. Clarke

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 09:18:41 PDT 2007

I put the message about Armstrong and Clarke on the TPIN, and got this reply about West End Blues...
Interesting to say the least!
Message: 9
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:25:18 +0000
From: stevehyde615 at comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TPIN] Armstrong and H.L.Clarke
To: tpin at tpin.okcu.edu

It has been my understanding that Joe "King" Oliver recorded (and composed) that cadenza before Louis made his own recording of it.    Have I been misinformed?

~Steve Hyde

> > The article then talks about the cadenza from West End Blues. In the
> > writer's opinion, by itself, the cadenza is more a display of classical
> > virtuosity than jazz. It is only when the rest of the jazz tune is added
> > that the cadenza could then be classified as jazz.

Warm regards,
Bob Romans,
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,
Lodi, Calif. 95242