[Dixielandjazz] Jo Trent and mics for tubas

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 12 12:35:10 PDT 2007

Don, it sounds like a little genealogy work is due for you.  The census
records from the 1930 census are available (census records are sealed for 72
years) so it should be somewhat easy to find the race information you're
looking for.
============

An SM 57 is adequate, if not really responsive to the extreme bottom of the
tuba range.  Any mic that is used for a kick drum works reasonably well,
also.  I use a Shure BG 4, it was a cheap mic but effective.

Broadway shows like to use the AKG 418.  It's a great mic, about $400 for
the wireless version, and it's great.  The only problem with clipping on a
mic to any brass instrument, if the mic is down the bell you're losing a lot
of the color of the instrument's tone.I used to have a cheap imitation of
the 418, and it was great, but I put it on a 12" boom.  Unfortunately, the
mic didn't hold up to the rigors of use I put it through, and it's kaput
now.  The BG 4 on a stand is wonderful.   IMNSHO, of course.

steve