[Dixielandjazz] Miking the Tuba

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 12 06:29:26 PDT 2007

"Rob Wright" <rwright at siatucson.com> wrote:

> Our tuba player got tired of not getting properly miked so he bot a fancy
> mic that clips on his bell.  I don't know what the make/model is but I'll
> fing out if you want.  It sure has been an improvement.  Rob

Sometimes just a little Duct Tape is all that's needed. At the Red Sea Jazz
Festival in Eilat Israel last year, Buddy Apfel, tubist with Tom Wiggin's
Ambassadors of New Orleans simply taped a regular stage mike to the bell.
Allowed him to dance around, and come up front to the edge of the stage on
solos and bend down, playing to the kids in the mosh pit.

His fix, gave him perfect fidelity (and visibility) in an outdoor venue, to
a cheering audience of some 3200 people.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone