[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Standards to West End Blues Cadenza

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 11 22:54:59 PDT 2007

G'day All,

Steve said:

"SNIP
The article then talks about the cadenza from West End Blues. In the writer's opinion, by itself, the cadenza is more a display of classical virtuosity than jazz. It is only when the rest of the jazz tune is added
that the cadenza could then be classified as jazz.
SNIP"

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

I think I prefer the theory proposed by Lionel Grigson in his "A Louis Armstrong Study Album". He says the cadenza is "in fact a blues chorus compressed into some four bars of free time".

Me? I just listen and gasp.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin