[Dixielandjazz] Language of Jazz and/or English

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 11 14:01:08 PDT 2007

Quite true. However, a true "fan" probably wouldn't do that, since he
probably wouldn't have entered a venue which truthfully advertised music he
didn't care for. Now, if the sign outside read "Traditional" or "Dixieland"
jazz, and I paid to get in and found only tuneless flutes and yowling
vocals,
I would voice a loud complaint about false advertising (but that's
against the management, the players). Or if they are trying to play
dixieland, and one of the horn players is consistent out of tune, then I
would leave quickly and be careful to never buy a recording with his name on
it.

And for me to say I like or dislike something and therefore you must also
would be beneath stupid and arrogant. And vice-versa. I can't quote it, but
the Romans left us a Latin saying that there is no accounting for taste, and
that's from the most ruthlessly practical people ever born.

By the way, George Bernard Shaw left an endowment in his will for a
committee to attempt a rationalization of written English. After a while
they went to the judge and gave back the money, saying the job was
impossible to do.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.