[Dixielandjazz] Miking a banjo (was Sound)

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Tue Sep 11 13:12:52 PDT 2007

So, Larry, you *want* to mike a banjo?! Who wants to mike a banjo?! I can
say that because I play one ...

I am doing a recording project now and we have had good results with the
mike above the high end of the fingerboard (i.e., near the pot/body of the
banjo), and as close to the strings as possible without interfering with the
left hand's chording. When we tried putting the mike by the holes around the
resonator, the resulting sound was too harsh, and too much pick racket. Over
the fingerboard, we got more music and less noise.

Regarding your statement in another post today: "people soak up a lot of
sound", my first response to that was "maybe, but unfortunately not through
their ears."

On that note ...

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band