[Dixielandjazz] Sound

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Sep 11 10:14:08 PDT 2007

What about putting the mike behind the piano to pick up the sound board?  I
personally prefer in front and above the piano and if it's an upright to
open the top.  If it's a grand we don't often mike the piano but if it is we
usually open the top and point a mike in sometimes with a boom.  This
happens if the grand is pointed the wrong way.  My current piano player
doesn't like to play with a lot of force and doesn't play loud enough.

Where is the best place for the two types of piano and what happens if you
have a spinet or the top won't open?

Also someone made a statement about not knowing how to mike a banjo.  Where
is the best place to put a mike?  We almost never need that but I would like
to hear what anyone thinks about miking various instruments.

Also what's a good (hopefully inexpensive) tuba mike?
Larry
StL