[Dixielandjazz] Sound & Mics

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Mon Sep 10 22:16:53 PDT 2007

Rob Wright wrote:

And since I am still trying to get my Digest version of the DJML
resolved, I am continuing to send to BOTH the sender and the DJML in
hopes something is getting through. No complaints so far, but feel free
to let me know.

I also do not understand why what appears to be an entire Digest was
attached to this individual email? I will remove those posts before sending.

>  You must learn to use a microphone just as you learn to play your
> instrument.

This seems to be particularly true with reed players. Some are excellent
in doing that. Others, as a sound person, you want to attach the mike to
the clarinet with electrical tape to try and get a mix.

    Most people don't know how to mic a banjo so it is my responsibility
> to help.

I may be one, and I was hoping you would impart your method or
observations in this post, but I find you are just referring to having
resolved the problem with the sound man.  Could you tell us what your
solution was?  What was his worry?  What was yours. I have found that in
most indoor venues the banjo needs very little amplification.

> It is unfair to expect any sound tech to be perfect the first time out of
> the gate.

Thank you. But they do.

  I have never met a sound man who wanted to do a poor job.

Some choose not to pay complete attention to what they are doing, but
they do not intentionally try to do a poor job. It could be life
threatening to do so.

   I always arrive early and discuss my wishes with the sound techs
> with all due respect.

Very refreshing idea. In around 30 years of sound mixing at festivals, I
am not sure I ever had that happen! Well in Sacramento, one of the
European leaders did come to the sound board. Set all the levels at one
mid range setting, made a few equalizer settings (very few from the
center settings) and told us not to touch anything. His players would
mix themselves. It actually worked quite well. :-) PLUS no communication
and language problems! BRILLIANT!

None of his musicians were too soft or too loud. He had trained them how
to us the mikes well.

Mad Dog