[Dixielandjazz] More Sound

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sun Sep 9 20:25:15 PDT 2007

Don Robertson wrote:

> I'm the "de facto" soundman for our Napa Valley Dixieland Jazz Society,
> by virtue of being a retired engineer.  (no I didn't run trains).

Too bad. Amtrak ridership is up considerably now, as I found returning
from the Sweet and Hot Festival. They could use some more of those
engineers. The other kind are a dime a dozen now.

> Other than knowing how to assemble the mic's, speakers and cables, I
> know almost nothing about setting up sound, so I am truly inexperienced.

Contact Gordon at the Sweet and Hot. You are just the man he is looking
for now that I have "resigned."

   Sometimes I get complaints about it
> being too loud, so I try not to set it too high.
> Any suggestions?

Yes. From my years of experience I would suggest removing all mikes
except for an announcing and/or singing mike and telling everyone the
Society by popular request has gone to an all acoustic venue. Bob
Ringwald will be happy to give you more pointers on that.

You will STILL be blamed for some instruments being too loud though.
During the Sweet and Hot festival I found I was accused of having the
bass too high during a B.E.D. set!  Joel Forbes is an excellent acoustic
bass player who uses no mikes or amps.

On sound you can not win, either with musicians or the audience. Rent
out your equipment if you have it, and stay at the bar with a beer.
Right Bob?  Above all never admit you have anything to do with the sound.

Mad Dog