[Dixielandjazz] A sound-man sounds-off

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sun Sep 9 16:34:49 PDT 2007

Jim Kashishian wrote:
Concerning large venues.

> I've already made a few comments.

I will look for them now that I am back on the DJML. Thanks for
responding on this.

   Regarding saying good things about
> techies:  I always ask for a round of applause for sound & lights if the
> occasion warrants it.

Bless you!  Not many do. Or I, like many musicians, am not as good as I
thought I was. :-) Believe me, they appreciated that. Throw the dog a
bone. It costs nothing and they might pay attention to your band at
least the next time. It works with animals. Why not sound people?

   If it was bad, I say nothing.

A big mistake in my opinion. As Gordon pointed out, many of the
volunteer sound people are relatively inexperienced and are learning on
the job, something the musicians probably do not want to know. They will
learn nothing if the musicians refuse to communicate and tell them what
they are doing wrong. On the other hand many will not listen.

A local here commented to me today  on how many local area bands, that
do their own sound in most cases, play so loud they drive people away
from the venues. When asked to turn down or adjust a particular
instrument, little or nothing is done. It is their sound. Live with it.
Most are compensating for bad musicianship he believes.

   Nor do I comment to
> the guys afterward if it was bad....  No sense, will probably

Key word here is probably. It is a small world.

  never see them
> again, anyway!  I just say "thanks", and leave it as that.

Why say thanks?  It is deceiving. They might think they did a great job.
I do. I am mortified!  Just scowl at them as you leave the stage and
request they leave the sound system off the next time, if any.

> Normally, the sound guys have charged for all the goodies they've got on
> site,

Glad you said that. I am sure that is the case. Festivals and jazz
parties go broke paying for sound equipment they do not need. The staff
on most will believe anything.

  so they will want to use their huge stacks of speakers, and gobs of
> monitors.  Whether they know how to use them is another matter....

The owner of the equipment usually does. Maybe his paid employees do.
The Volunteers probably don't have a clue.   School of hard knocks by
the musicians.

> For large concerts, the setup is exactly the same as though it was a
> full-blown rock band on stage, including lights, strobe lights & smoke
> machines!

Have you ever asked the people hiring you why they are doing that, or
suggest to them what you feel you need to perform as opposed to what
some sound company has convinced them you need.  Communication again.

   The house console will be 32 channels if not more, and another
> console the same size for the on stage monitors.  A total of 12 people make
> up the ranks to run all of that....for us 5 old guys to perform!   :>

Sounds familiar. At one festival in their largest venue, I counted
almost exactly that. Including at least 2 sets of 2 with wireless
communicators to co-ordinate from stage to giant console and lighting. I
arrived early to watch.

First set of the day, third day of the festival. It took them 45-60
minutes to set up for a 6 piece trad band that was ready to play 10
minutes before the scheduled start of the set. The set started 10-15
minutes late. I was not impressed.  With the band, yes.

I have been expected to do the same thing single handed in 15 minutes
max. Providing a musician before them has not inconsiderately played
half way through the set up period to thunderous applause, and has then
been mobbed in the set up area by adoring fans. It happens.  5-7 minutes
  set up time to stay on schedule.  It can be done.

There are some good professional and none professional sound teams or
individuals  out there. Jim mentioned at least one. Maybe we can hear
more about them? Bob Ringwald has praised in the past a team in the San
Diego area that did everything but shine his shoes. Not that he would
notice that, however.  He WAS impressed.

The verbose one.

Mad Dog