[Dixielandjazz] A sound-man sounds-off

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Sep 9 14:49:18 PDT 2007

Mad Dog wrote:
>Other DJML members are dealing with large outdoor venues or even larger
  indoor venues. I would like to hear their sound experiences.

I've already made a few comments.  Regarding saying good things about
techies:  I always ask for a round of applause for sound & lights if the
occasion warrants it.  If it was bad, I say nothing.  Nor do I comment to
the guys afterward if it was bad....  No sense, will probably never see them
again, anyway!  I just say "thanks", and leave it as that.

Normally, the sound guys have charged for all the goodies they've got on
site, so they will want to use their huge stacks of speakers, and gobs of
monitors.  Whether they know how to use them is another matter....

For large concerts, the setup is exactly the same as though it was a
full-blown rock band on stage, including lights, strobe lights & smoke
machines!  The house console will be 32 channels if not more, and another
console the same size for the on stage monitors.  A total of 12 people make
up the ranks to run all of that....for us 5 old guys to perform!   :>

We recently did a concert in a bull-ring.  The sound & light guys were
excellent.  They had worked with our band on several occassions.  Sound
check lasted about 20 minutes, and just as well, as the sun hadn't gone down
yet, and it was about 97º!  Great gig, with no hassles from sound or lights.

Jim