[Dixielandjazz] Public Domain Tunes

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 8 19:02:40 PDT 2007

It can get very involved to determine what is public domain where. Each
country has its own laws, so a Canadian p. d. list may be significantly
different from a USA one, and neither list will be accurate for Latin
America, etc.

In addition, watch out for some Congressional cheating.

In the past, once a tune fell into public domain (USA), copyright was lost
forever. Congress has recently started to try to reactivate copyright on
some tunes. How they plan to enforce that is beyond me.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.