[Dixielandjazz] A sound-man sounds-off

GWW174 at aol.com GWW174 at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 21:07:34 PDT 2007

Sound techs are often the 'whipping boys' in the festival music  scene -
often times rightly so.  But musicians should try and place themselves in the
shoes of the sound tech and use a little common sense.  I have been responsible
for the sound for the Sweet and Hot and LA CLassic for many years and have
recently started to keep some notes of how musicians can pitch in and make our
collective lives and their sound much better.  Will occassionally post a few ideas
of 'stupid things' musicians sometimes do...

 Open to some other contributions to this thread so feel free to send ideas
to _gww174 at aol_ (mailto:gww174 at aol) .

Here's an example.which happened several times at this year's S&H.

After the first number in the set, a musician approaches the microphone and
says "can we have a little more of this mike in the monitor system"  Certainly
a reasonable request but that's all we hear from the musician.... not another
word.... dead silence.  So the poor inexperienced sound tech is looking at a
mass of a zillion knobs to turn and trying to figure out which one and how much
to turn it up and pray that the musician is now happy or that the system does
not go into feedback.

So, musicians, LISTEN UP ..Solving that particular request means we need to
identify the specific microphone and how much to raise it in a particular
monitor channel on the board without starting feed back.  ..  After making the
request keep talking until you get enough volume in your monitor speaker.... if
you are bashful, as an alternative scratch the microphone wind screen with your
fingernails... or snap your fingers....tell s joke but PROVIDE some kind of
input noise into the microphone while the sound tech trys to raise the level in
your monitor speaker.  DO NOT BLOW INTO ANY MICROPHONE EVER NEVER...EVER
NEVER...

And PLEASE follow through with your request.... give the sound person a
little 'feedback/response' that the adjustment is either good or bad... you need
more or less of such and such in your monitors, etc etc etc..but DON'T MAKE A
REQUEST followed by silence - hoping the sound person can solve the problem.

Gordon of Northridge