[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Humph

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 15:04:37 PDT 2007

Hi Pat,
At least Kathy was not cool!  And if the band was "cool," how could
any player in it "give Kathy Stobart a run for her  money?"  To me,
it's either jazz or cool, never both!
Humph might have gone back to cool - I don't know!  I have not seen
Humph for a long time.  But his "Trad" band of the later 1940's and
early 1950's was, IMO, among the best bands in jazz's history.  I
played a blues EP by Humph to a friend who knew his jazz inside out,
and he could not believe it was a white band, although that explained
his failure to identify the musicians.
Cheers,
Marek