[Dixielandjazz] How did key tunes get into the standard dixieland repertoire? (Marty Nichols)

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Thu Sep 6 23:42:37 PDT 2007

Hi Gang. How did key pop tunes come into the standard Dixieland
 repertoire?
Who introduced 'em, or made 'em popular enough so that dixielanders
adopted 'em? <snip>

--Sheik"

As I see it, many of the tunes in the Dixieland repertoire WERE the popular tunes of the day. Others were written specifically, such as the original raft of tunes by the ODJB. Eddie Condon used a lot of popular tunes - Bing Crosby hits etc. What amazes me is how long they have survived as Dixieland standards, especially as some of them are not that good.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
COOCHIEMUDLO ISLAND